The Hamp Williams Building has been recognized by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program, the Department of Arkansas Heritage, and the National Register of Historic Places.
The Hamp Williams building is quite impressive with its hand-placed split-face Arkansas granite. It is a great example of 1920’s Renaissance Revival unlike any in the City. The building was built as a cornerstone for business of Hot Springs.
Originally housed in the building was:
- Hamp Williams Auto Company
The first Hot Springs Ford Dealership and one of the first car dealerships in the state of Arkansas
- Community Bank and Trust
Owned by Mr. Hamp Williams
- Cox Store Company
A grocery company with the motto, “All Over Arkansas”
The building retains much of its original architectural character and features original doors, floors and windows as well as exterior and interior finishes such as pressed metal ornamentation, plaster walls and skylights. Known as a “New Modern” building because of the open airy spaces that are in competition with Victorian era appointments such as pressed tin ceilings. This early 20th century was the time electrical lights were introduced and is also known as the Electric Period of building.
Over the years the building housed many different companies including Burch Motor Company, Holiman-Creason Motors, Chrysler-Plymouth, many government offices and small businesses such as the fondly remembered Vaughn Hardware store that was located for many years at 510 Ouachita Avenue, the present home of the Surfas Culinary District.